Saturday, August 9, 2008

Graphic novels



Once I started reading Gaiman (because of Terry Pratchett but that's another post), I started reading a bunch of graphic novels.  I now understand that comic books (sorry is that "graphic novels") are not for kids anymore. These are riveting stories, so dark that they are almost believable.Like Agent Smith said - "human beings define their reality through misery and suffering".? I mean, these couldn't be fantasies right ? Normal people do not fantasize about such imperfect worlds where superheroes loose and nice people die.

 Here are some of the best ones:
  1. The Marvel Universe Civil war arc: Amazing stories. I think the future Iron Man movies are headed here (that where SHIELD and Nick fury are from), so if you refuse to read all the comics - there are about 50 of them - you can get some of it from the movies in the next 10 years. The story so addicted me, that I spent most nights awake for 4 days reading them, almost without pause.
  2. Watchmen: Really cool plot lines. Unfortunately most of the story happens in the mind of the "hero" Rorschach, who is crazy, psychotic and kills people for fun. Did I mention he is a superhero who helps people? And that the night owl is 40, overweight and out of shape? As wikipedia notes (and it definitely deserves these awards and more!).: To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award, and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels" published since the founding of the magazine in 1923.

No comments: